Friday, October 12, 2007

Thank You for Eating American Cheese

Got to walk around the neighborhood a bit last night: I’m really up in the sticks here. There are a number of government ministries and institutions here, as well as a few areas with large homes well-fenced (who doesn’t love spools of barbed-wire atop 15 foot walls).



I went to a party “chez Susanne” with some other people from Glycines. “Chez Susanne,” we found out when we arrived, is a large chuch/charity home that houses all kinds of people who have come from the more southerly parts of Africa, as I met men from the Congo, Soudan, Nigeria, and Senegal. We were invited because of our western-ness or our assumed Catholicism, which was awkward but not too much so. I did get to eat some very red sausage/hot-dog contraption with pitted olives in the middle of it. There was also couscous and the delicious/disgusting milk drink that goes along with it. I’m really still up in the air about this thing, although I did manage to put down a few glasses. It is a lot like plain yogurt, a bit milkier and a bit tangier (that’s tang-ier, not Tangier…although I wonder what could make something “a bit Tangier…”).



There was also a band of young guys, guitars and bongos, that played some “rock algérien(ne)” as they said. It was mellow and reminded me a little of Hoba Hoba Spirit, if anyone knows them. Altogether the scene was odd. I even met a Polish biologist (specializing in the reproduction of desert animals) who has been teaching at the University of Algiers for 36 years.



I walked around town a bit more yesterday, only further confirming the Marseille bit I wrote a while ago. Really, look at some pictures of the town. I knew that the French tore down huge swaths of the city and built boulevards and buildings in the French style, but I guess I never realized to what an extent the city was/is “European.” What amazed me the most, however, was/is the sheer number of shoe stores in the city. Really, blocks and blocks with a patisserie, a “taxi phone” store, and two different shoe stores. This in a town where, from my count, 68% of the population wears flip-flops or other sandals.



I also found out last night that Kraft, along with General Foods, is owned by Philip Morris. So all that Jell-O you eat (or consume in Jell-O shots, as Joey is want to do) is helping get little kids addicted to cigarettes. Thanks a lot. Why do you hate kids so much? Speaking of odd things, is anyone aware that in the South some people soak pickles in Kool-Aid and then eat them? I guess this really happens, and I want someone to try it and report back.

The real discovery of the day came from my Cuban friend here: just down the street, past a boulangerie, there is a store that sells 3 bootleg DVDs for 500D (about $7.50). He assures me that they are much better quality than those one can buy in Moroccan medinas. Goodbye grant money.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I enjoy all the possibilities of things both disgusting and delicious. Your images are amazing and my favorites include the Funny Face and the children's story about loads and loads of money. Lovin' the blog!

Err Bloc Tuck said...

Thanks, Kimberly. Tonight I ate some dessert thing that was pretty much cornmeal soaked in honey, but neither good cornmeal nor good honey. It was disgusting, and of course I had two. Oh, and now I have my very own cell phone! Aren't you proud?