Friday, October 19, 2007

I'll have coleslaw with that

The trip to the depths of state regulatory power didn’t work quite as I wanted it to, since the Bureau des Etrangers is closed Thursdays and Fridays, as I found out after I walked all the way down there. To quote Tenacious D: “All you people up there, in City Hall/Are fuckin it up for the people that’s in the streets.” I did manage to get more of the stuff that I will eventually need, however, like something called a timbre fiscale (a stamp of some kind) and a whole grip of identity photos, or, I guess, passport photos (do I really need 10? Well, yes. Really).



I also had a nice long talk with the two people who work at the photo shop. I asked for identity photos, they said sure. While the lady was getting the camera set up she asked if it was for a passport or visa, to which I replied it was for a residence card. She looked surprised and said, “oh, you’re Spanish, I see,” to which I replied that no, I am (was? What’s the correct grammar here?) American. She was stunned and the news quickly spread to the guy working with her.



The fun started there as I had to explain why the hell I was in Algeria, tell them about how I even knew anything about their country (“because we have lots of oil and you have none, right?”), and fend off marriage proposals (the lady stormed off in mock disappointment when I said I wasn’t on the market for a wife, which was fun for all. Also: “its ok, in Algeria everyone has to have more than one wife,” “oh yeah?” “Yes, have you seen what happens to the women after they get married?”). It was fun, they told me all about the country and all the different people here. I also found out that I look “more Kabyle than American” (the Kabylie being a region in the east that produces a bunch of redheads with freckles and even more brunets with blue eyes...and Zinedine Zidane).



For a moment I questioned whether to just agree with the pronouncement of my Spanish-ness or tell the woman that I’m from the States. I do think, however, that things are never going to turn around in the world if two things don’t happen: 1) the US stops getting up in everyone’s business, politically, economically, and militarily (i.e. we stop beating around the Bush (ugh) and finally elect Kucinich (holy crap Word recognizes Kucinich!), whom everyone knows has all the best ideas for change, which is why he’s constantly marginalized by the media (along with the other candidate with serious thoughts about policy: Ron Paul); and 2) Americans who aren’t dickheads start actually telling people they are from the US. I’m sick of Canada getting all the recognition for having nice people.



I would like to put the interaction with the photo people in contrast to the interactions on the streets of the Casbah; “interactions,” that is, in the sense that men muttered and swore at me. Gainfully employed people are happier, more forgiving, and more curious in the world (I would argue) than the economically depressed. I guess I think that – adding to what I said above – redistribution of wealth (however one wants to accomplish that: through a massive state or a completely unfettered market (and I mean completely) or something else entirely) around the world wouldn’t be a bad thing.



Just a note: I had a chicken sandwich from the “King of Chicken” today, and it wasn’t very good. It seems that monarchies are tired systems. For my next sandwich I’m looking for “The Duly Elected Representative of Chicken.” Or hey, why not think big and hold that sandwich ‘til I find “The People’s Committee of Chicken” or “The Enlightened Dictator of Chicken.” Yeah, that’s good chicken…



P.S.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I expect your next posting to include a video of you doing the Soulja dance.

Err Bloc Tuck said...

I've been working on a good one, but I won't be able to record it until I get my hotpants back from the cleaners...